Monday, May 3, 2010

Listening to Nina



I've been a huge fan of Nina Simone ever since 1998. That's the year the Coen brother's The Big Lebowski was released. I purchased the soundtrack when it came out, and included was a song that crawled under my skin immediately: I've Got it Bad & That Aint Good, sung by Nina Simone. Up until then, I had never heard of Nina Simone, but that quickly changed.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite Nina Simone tune. The "video" I selected is one of her more upbeat songs. This song also showcases her talent at the piano. I listened to this song, and dozens more while completing the last piece in the Women Singing series.

Nina, 24 x 20"

All of the Women Singing pieces are available in my Etsy shop, and on my website.

3 comments:

aimee said...

this is a gorgeous piece! and i love that it was inspired by nina simone!

Jennifer DeDonato said...

I love the colors in your piece. I have never heard of Nina so I need to check it out.

lori vliegen said...

LOVE this, kim!! it's as melodic and gorgeous as nina's voice is! what a fabulous inspiration! :))