Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Storytellers

This is Storytellers I with detail. It is 31 x 9". Storytellers I and II are now for sale on Etsy.

Here is the blurb I wrote for Etsy:

In our information saturated society, all we are learning is new. What's happening now? What will happen tomorrow? We are forgetting our past. We need to listen to the storytellers in our lives and learn the history of our families and communities. We need to become storytellers ourselves. Our rich histories are important foundations for our futures.

The figures in the detail are what provoked a post the other day about artistic intention. The two figures did not come out as dark as I had intended. I could try to make them darker by stamping over them -- something I knew would not work well. I could paint them further with a brush. I could leave them alone and come up with a new interpretation. I chose the latter. I think it was a good choice. Now my piece shows that the role of the storyteller in society is fading.

So, make my day. Go over to my Etsy Shop and have a look.


This is Storytellers II and detail 31 x 9".

I am also considering extending this series with a few small pieces, perhaps 10 x 10".

I also have two similar, but larger, pieces in the works. Hopefully I will be able to post one of them next week.

I sure do wish there were more people out there who love orange. What a fantastic color!

2 comments:

p said...

i like this work (the top one especially), more so because of your interpretation and explanation. I think i envy that you can put your intention and meaning into something (as i've said i dont really do that consciously). I can see the power in doing that, not sure I ever understood that before. GREAT JOB!

Lynda Lehmann said...

Vibrant and gorgeous work, Kim. I'm all for orange, as long as it doesn't overwhelm the other colors in a piece. Combined with black and gray, it works well!