Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Before, During and . . .

Here is a photo of before. A whole tabletop of ideas, ripe and ready to go. What to make of this?

First, I stamped some hands. Nice, but that didn't do it for me.

Then I stamped male and female figures. Male and female together, male and male together, female and female together. This was going to be "A More Perfect Union." That did not happen. It may yet, but it didn't gel.

Then what? Perhaps all it takes is a bit of music. Since the New Orleans series, I have been listening to Cajun and Zydeco music, and have removed the brass band-style tunes. I started thinking of swampy, mysterious things. I focused on a couple of Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas songs (go to itunes and check out "Old Man's Darlin" and "Don't Worry 'bout the Mule"). Hmmmmmm. Voodoo? Not really. Gumbo? Maybe. Storytelling by a flickering fire? Very possible.

Here are two pieces in progress. Graphic. Perhaps a bit scary?

Today I stitched them together. I need to decide if I will do any decorative stitching. I have some red fabric bars I will apply with black stitching. And then I feel these pieces will require beading.

Hopefully I will have the finished product(s) next week.

6 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

I zoomed and enlarged and love what I see. Have you designed and stamped each piece of fabric? The patterns are wonderful and the colours so rich.

Kim Hambric said...

Robyn, the black and white fabrics, except for the snakes, are commercial batiks. Most of the stripes are commercial fabrics also. The rest are printed with hand-carved stamps, or are created with sun paints and shapes cut out of foam.

I am a pattern freak!

Anonymous said...

I just adore it! That quilt American craft is so marvellous.

I love that African feel of it. Those two works would look great as long pillows displayed over an black leather sofa.(like the black version of a Knoll: http://www.officedesigns.com/product-exec/product_id/206?cid=6000^Knoll+Lounge+Sofa^NXT)

Jean Baardsen said...

Beautiful color combination! Rich, but they make me think of autumn. Pumpkin pie....

Leslie Avon Miller said...

These are strong. I like all the contrast and the colors and shapes.

Jo James said...

Love them. Stories by a fire, yes!