Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Winter Activities


As I write, it is pouring down snow. Yes, I know the word "pouring" usually pertains to rain, but if you could see the snow, you would agree. Schools were closed today. Playdates were made, games have been played, crayons have been worn down, and now the television is on.

Those who know me, know my favorite winter activities. I am not a skier, I am not a skater. I like it warm. I like it inside. Right now, my favorite activities are recuperating and reading. Mmmmmm, reading. And, um, doing research on the computer. Yeah, that's it. Research. For what, I'm not exactly sure. I've been doing some more surfing around on Google Maps.

Everyone must do this. See the world while you're stuck in your home during this nasty winter. I've still been walking the streets of New Orleans. You locate on the map which area you want to zoom in on, then you click on the man icon. While you drag the man icon along, he seems to be flailing, kicking and screaming. Then you let go and drop him on any old street and off you go. I've seen parts of this city that I never knew existed. And I thought I had seen a good deal. Not so.

Someone wanted to know the books I've been reading on New Orleans. There are several I have read since my first visit, and many I have read more than once. Here is a list. Some are better than others. Check your local, independent (ha ha) bookstore for copies.

Gumbo Tales - Sara Roahen*
Galatoire's, Biography of a Bistro - Burton and Holditch
Why New Orleans Matters - Tom Piazza*
The House on First Street - Julia Reed
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole*
Down in New Orleans - Billy Sothern*
Managing Ignatius - Jerry Strahan
1 Dead in Attic - Chris Rose*
My New Orleans - Rosemary James, Editor
Katrina and the Lost City of New Orleans - Rod Amis
Beautiful Crescent - Garvey and Widmer
Uptown/Downtown, Growing Up in New Orleans - Martinez and LeCorgne*
Gardens of New Orleans - Douglas and Hardy
New Orleans, Elegance and Decadence - Richard Sexton
Etouffee Mon Amour - Kerri McCaffety*
New Orleans, Then and Now - Richard and Marina Campanella*
The French Quarter of New Orleans - Jim Fraiser

*best reading

Arriving soon:

Geographies of New Orleans, Urban Fabrics Before the Storm - Richard Campanella
Letters from New Orleans - Rob Walker

If anybody can recommend any others, I would appreciate it. It appears to be a long winter up here in Pennsylvania. There's lots of reading yet to be done.

Well, back to hacking my head off and watching the snow fall. Soon it will be time to turn that television off and pop my daughter into the bath. And read.

1 comment:

NolaNik said...

I am happy to see that you like Sara's book. She is a good friend of mine. She is the best foodie friend ever. We are currently testing every milk shake joint in Nola. And of course I am flattered that you like my husband's book, Down in New Orleans.

I recommend a book of en plein air paintings entitled "Painting Katrina" by Phil Sandusky, who was allowed into the lower ninth ward right after the storm and painted the devastation. He is a painter who teaches at The New Orleans Academy of Fine Art. The book is sad, but I believe it is unique and worth owning.

Also, Loren Schwerd is a fiber artist who teaches at LSA and she makes victorian style mourning portraits of flooded shotguns using hair from wigs she found after the storm. She is on the cover of one of the latest Fiber Arts magazine (I think Dec?).

Your work is beautiful,
Nikki Page Sothern (Nola Nik)