Monday, December 10, 2007

let's celebrate national apathy week . . .



Yes, please celebrate National Apathy Week with me. You really don't need to do a thing. Please. Do nothing. That's what it's all about.

Maybe it's the post-vacation blues. Could be the week following my trip was spent sewing together the quilt. Once a quilt has been designed and the pieces cut and laid out, everything gets bogged down as I sew the pieces together, and then make the quilt "sandwich" by sewing along the seams. I know that this is all necessary. And it is progress. I just can't SEE the progress. During this process, the quilt always looks the same. I crave new visual stimulation. The whole thing actually becomes WORK. Work is just not fun during apathy week.

Perhaps it is because this commission is unloved at this point. The applique shapes are a no go. Now I must scrap these scraps and begin again. Yet, at this point, I do not know where to go. The shapes came pretty much from instinct after I looked into an artist suggested by the client. I have no clue where to go next. I feel like my arms are missing. How can I possibly work with missing arms? (I know, I know. How could I possibly type with missing arms?) Maybe the missing arm feeling is just part of National Apathy Week.

I'd take another vacation if I just had the time and money. But now its baking and decorating and wrapping time. I want to be part of all of that and have fun.

How can I complain. I am so lucky to be able to do what I do. If I suddenly went blank (which I think I am) and could not create, and if clients demanded their money back, and if I received emails and postcards from everyone who has purchased from me saying that I stink, I would still be able to fall back on my husband's job and be able to deal with it all. (I would be a tad bent out of joint, though). I should be happy happy happy.

I will ride out apathy week. It started last Wednesday. I assume it will last through Tuesday night. It might linger until Wednesday morning. It will end. Right. Right?

3 comments:

p said...

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
I almost didn't click the photo because I know they are always the same size and I can never see anything...but I decided what the hey and low and behold a big bold beeeeautiful photo!
and you want me to be apathetic? are you nuts? I love this piece, the circles send me into a heavenly frenzy.
good job!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kim! This is an awesomely cool quilt. In need to start having apathy week too if if can help me make quilt as pretty as yours!! I just recently discovered your websites and I've completed inspired by your work. I will continue visiting and posting. Thanks for taking the time to share art and reflections with us!!

Nellie's Needles said...

I too consider this to be a fabulous quilt. Or rather, it is well on its way to be one. As you know, your quilting patterns will add dimension and design elements to the mix. Your opinion of the piece may improve after a break to celebrate the holidays. Commission pieces have a big heaping dose of unknown expectations built into them.