Thursday, April 8, 2010

Listening to Janis

Every now and then (rarely) I get asked to explain my inspiration for a piece of art. I just can't do it. The words don't come out right. Or my words seem lame. Or while gathering my thoughts, the listener gets distracted and walks off. Whatever.

My inspiration is a combination of music and color.



Three years ago I completed the Women Singing series. Each piece was all about color and music and how they combine in my mind.

I know this video is somewhat lame. But I had to find my favorite Janis Joplin song and it had be the vision I had in my head when I created my Janis piece. This song has gotten lodged inside of me. I know it can never be removed. Kind of a good thing. Kind of a bad thing. Even on the most beautiful and happy of days, the melancholy of this song alters my view of the world. As if I were wearing a pair of Janis' funky sunglasses.

Janis, 24 x 20"

Janis, detail

If a mad scientist were to cross Emily Dickinson, Janis Joplin, and the weird girl in back of the Home Economics class who could do nothing right, you would get me. I might appear quiet and geeky, but on the inside, Janis is raging.

2 comments:

Juliette Crane said...

love that description of yourself! i've had crazy experiences involving the work of both of those women, but especially janis. she is no longer allowed to be played in the car while i'm driving :)

super nice to meet you and to have found your blog. your artwork is just lovely. i am delighted by the colors in these pieces and can't wait to see more of your art :)

best wishes to you!
juliette

Diane said...

Hi Kim, Okay I am so envious of your gift of creating fiber arts, and I LOVED this post, and your description of yourself. I also see that you recently went to Pittsburgh--one of my favorite cities. I live a couple hours away from it, and my daughter attended Pitt. I'm so glad that I found you!
(BTW--Janis--one of the most talented artists!)