Friday, February 15, 2008

My Favorite Things, Part II








Here is the complete series of The Valley. My favorite series of last year. I have yet to start a series this year. I will be patient and see what comes to me.
My husband and I spend several weekends a year traveling between State College, PA, and Roanoke, VA, where my family lives. The trip can be a bit monotonous (when done frequently). That's when I take in just a bit of scenery and break it down and try to recreate that bit into a piece of fiber art. The trip begins in Happy Valley (Home of Penn State), goes through the Blue Ridge Valley and into Roanoke Valley.
Winter used to be the most challenging time to get ideas for art. Or so I thought. There is something to be said for the late afternoon sun touching on a grove of leafless birch trees, framed by a hillside of gold and brown grasses. When the landscape of central Pennsylvania gives you a bunch of lemons, you've got to make some lemonade.
I have a new appreciation for murky, muddy colors. Soil and mineral colors. Today, however, is an exception. The sky is a dirty gray. The snow on the ground is already a dirty gray. Somehow my car is a dirty gray. My skin has become a dirty gray. I need a fabric fix.
When the dog bites, when the bees stings, when I feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad. Yes, I remember. I have fabric in my studio. I'm going to go drag it out and throw it together. I will pull out some orange. Some murky, muddy orange, no doubt.
p.s. Why does Blogger frequently remove the spaces between paragraphs? Does anybody have a solution for this?

1 comment:

p said...

very nice series kim, more and more i am blown away by how 'quilters' seems to derive such inspiration from nature.

as far as the blogger thing, i know there has to be a better solution but for now what i do is this:

instead of the compose mode hit the other tab up on the upper right of box you write in. look for the /div div div div stuff and deleter it. then hit the space bar where you want the paragraph,then hit the composetab and you will see a space again.

there might be a solution in the blog settings that your husband can figure out (you know when you hit dashboard and can choose things like if you are alerted with emails when people comment etc)

good luck! let me know if you find a permanent solution. i'm sure the blogger google help group could help too.