Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Break from the Bleak



I'm not sure if this thing is as bright in real life as it is in this photo. It's pretty close, though.

This is my newest response to our bleak Pennsylvania winter. I have put a white board over the brown and black piece I have been working on. Covered it up. Pretended it does not exist.

This is a 24"x24" inch piece created from a mental photograph. I should really carry a camera wherever I go, but I don't. I never think I will see something spectacular on my one-block walk to the bus stop, but that is where I come across the most fascinating visuals.

Last fall, on a walk to the bus stop, my daughter and I were enjoying the colors of the leaves that had completely covered the sidewalk. My neighbor's pink impatiens had finally let go of their brilliant pink petals on top of the leaves. I loved the "clashing" colors and told myself to go and create a quilt with those colors. And now I have.

But what to add to it? Stitching, yes. But doodads? More paint? Should I leave it be?

1 comment:

Nellie's Needles said...

I think you DID IT! If it were mine, I'd get the quilt patterning done and then decide if more is required. As I'm sure you already know, the quilt will tell you if it needs anything more. There's more than one meaning to "being a slave to art".