Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Listening to Elis (Not Elvis)

I just came across this YouTube video on the Fiber Focus blog.



Elis Regina is one of my favorite singers. A Brazilian, Elis sings in Portuguese, a language of which I can understand almost nothing. This matters little to me as her voice is more like musical instrument. Perhaps I should state everything in the past tense. Elis died in 1982 at the age of 36.

Three years ago, I was inspired to create a piece based on her beautiful voice.


No doubt, this does not well enough capture her rich, clear voice.

I'm debating a change of tunes in the CD player to include her. I'm just worried that if I do, that will be the end of the Signs of the Times series. I am much too affected by music when I work. I will listen to the same CDs over and over again until a piece or series is finished.

Are others as affected as I am by music when they create?

2 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Thank you. Her voice is fascinating. I enlarged the photo of your quilt to look at it while I listened to her. There's definitely elements of her voice and the music in your quilt. I'm going looking for more of her. You know that a mental picture of your quilt will now pop into my head every time I hear her, don't you?

jason said...

I love how you can interpret sound visually!