Saturday, July 30, 2011

Back from Portland, OR

Ahhhh!  The city!

Ahhhhhh!  The beer!

Ahhhh!  The beer flavored gelato!

Yes, the musicians at the farmers' market will play for produce!

City of Bridges

City of Gardens

Taking time to smell the roses

Yes, I have been away from the blog for a while.  But with good reason.  A week long trip to Portland.  I've been trying to think of things that I did not like about the city, but nothing comes to mind.

What I did like (love):

1.   Cars that will stop and wait for you to cross the road, whether there is a crosswalk or not
2.   Beer.  Really good beer.
3.   Pinot Noir
4.   Bridges
5.   Street cars
6.   Trains
7.   Fantastic food
8.   Coffee
9.   Donut shops
10. Beer
11. Public art
12. Museums
13. Shops
14. Pinot Noir
15. Music - live - whether it's good or not
16. Hills and resultant views
17. Non-rude people (except you, gelato dork)
18. Gelato
19. Beer
20. Food carts
21. Pinot Noir
22. Architecture
23. Summer sun
24. Roses
25. Beer
26. Farmers' Markets
27. Local produce (I even ate peas)
28. Beer
29. The zoo
30. Pinot Noir

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I did not leave the city.  Except for one foray over the Hawthorne bridge, I did not leave the west side of the city.  That means there's so much more for me to see.  And consume.

Favorite line overheard at the farmers' market, made by a man holding a small wheel of cheese, "Did you inoculate the rind?"  Oh, they know their food in Portland.

I miss you, Portland.

9 comments:

Dr. Monkey said...

Glad you're back!

Susan said...

I am also glad you are back. Sounds like you have a wonderful time and I love your list of "likes". I see beer tops the Pinot Noir.

p said...

you little minx! stealing away to a cultured beautiful city without telling anyone. you look happy :) can't you make your man move ya'll there???

Unknown said...

You forgot the rivers! Portland is wonderful.

Kim Hambric said...

Dr. Monkey - Glad to be back and not glad to be back.

Susan - Beer really does not top wine. I should go back and fix that, but I'm too lazy.

Paula - Hubby firmly does not believe in announcing that we are vacating the house. Nor putting person info. (such as birthdays) on Facebook. We also do a great deal of shredding of personal documents. Would love to live in Portland, but three aging parents on the east coast are keeping us here for now.

Dianna, Those cool bridges go over the rivers, so can I be forgiven for not mentioning them?!? Next time I visit, I do want to explore the water more.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

What a fun blog post! We get to Portland from time to time - and usually pass through. Now I have to stop and try the beer! Glad you had a good time here in the pacific northwest!

Thea Belecz said...

I love Portland, too. So many little (and great) galleries, parks, FOOD, and wonderful people - all just a stones throw from the OCEAN!!! Glad you had fun!

jason said...

I miss Portland now too. And I've never even been.

Sharmon Davidson said...

OK, you convinced me; I've decided to move there! It sounds like you had a fantastic time- but with all that beer and wine, how could you not, right?