Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Paper Love




Paper. It is somehow taking over my life. I surf Etsy for paper products. I surf Ebay for paper products. I have two vintage geography books on the way. I can't wait. My vintage dress patterns have arrived. Some mystery maps might be coming my way. I do wish I had a flea market nearby to rummage through. We have one little lonely antiques mall in my town. Perhaps I will search there for books and buttons. Perhaps not. It would probably not be a good use of my time. I have nothing good to say about this place so I won't say any more.

The last photo shows my paper beads drying. I think they look a bit strange. Ten beads made it out of an attempted 12. They are always a bit harder to make than I realize. I have to cut paper into 3/4" by 5 1/2" strips. Then I cut the sides at an angle to form long triangles. I spread glue onto the wide end of the strip, careful (ha) not to put glue to close to the bottom edge where it will then stick to the toothpick. I spread glue on the rest of the triangle and roll the bead up. I apply three coats of matte medium on each bead, allowing the medium to dry between each coat. I often lose more beads by neglecting to turn them frequently on the toothpicks so they won't stick. Today two stuck. Apparently, this is a labor of love not profit.

I should have two more pieces finished this week. I think that one of them might be good for a giveaway.

7 comments:

lori vliegen said...

i love paper, too....and i don't know why, but i never seem to have any luck finding those fabulous flea markets that everyone else goes to! it's probably for the best, though, because i have absolutely no more room for a new paper stash!! :)

p said...

fun fun fun
i thought of you as i have a handful of old maps (not moldy) to get rid of. if you want to pay for postage they are yours. cool to see those dress patterns. makes me happy thinking about all the work you have ahead of you.

ArtPropelled said...

Our local junk shops have put their prices up so high that it puts one in a bad mood before one even starts to browse. It's such a pity because being able to rummage with the idea that you might find a bargain is half the fun of creating art with vintage objects.
Looking forward to seeing your new pieces with the paper beads. I've always found this type of bead intriquing.

layers said...

Like you, I have also been obsessed with old papers, maps, and old book pages lately-- also have a hard time finding a lot-- so what I have becomes a little precious-- but the search is part of the process I think.

Nellie's Needles said...

Hey, how did you get one of my old patterns? I made several dresses from that same Simplicity pattern umpteen years ago. A couple of years I had donated all of my old patterns to our local Goodwill. If you have one of those nearby, it may be a good place to look for more.

jason said...

oh wow....what a cool stash! I love those old books

Dolores said...

I don't know how I missed this post. I too love paper - always have.