Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Why Pay Retail?

Why Pay Retail I, 8 x 8" ©2011 Kim Hambric

We all want a bargain don't we?  Even if something is already reasonably priced and we are prepared to pay the price asked, we really want to see a sale sticker on it.  We want a discount!  Why?  Sure we want to spend less, but does a discount make us feel special or lucky?

We want to tell our friends and family about our most recent bargain.  Sure, we hope that they might get the same deal if they head out immediately, but we also want them to know that we found this bargain first.  We are the hunter, the hero, the king or queen of amazing finds.

Sometimes, often too late, we realize the bargain item is not what we really wanted at all.  If we had stood there a moment longer before rushing our sale item to the register, we might have selected the full-priced item -- the one we really want and/or need.

No, I'm not above this.  I've far too many "bargains" hidden away in closets and drawers.  Often, these bargains are forgotten after I return to the store to buy the correct item at full price.  Damn!  I often spend extra money just to save money.

This piece in in my Etsy shop.  I think it is going for a reasonable price.