Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Obviously, it is not Christmas.

It is time for the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts.

What? You've never heard of it? I guess most folks out there don't have much knowledge of what goes on in Central Pennsylvania (not much, usually). However, it is probably the best art festival I have ever been to. Sure, I'm not the most well-traveled person, but those who come to this festival would probably agree. (If you know of another great festival, please let me know.)

Four days. Over 300 artists. All high quality. No crocheted doiles here (not that there's anything wrong with that). Over 50 bands.

The festival sprawls over part of the Penn State campus, through downtown and several blocks into a residential area. I will be leaving my house in 20 minutes for a ten minute walk to the beginning of the festival. I will return home to eat a few meals, shower and sleep. Otherwise, for the next four days, I will be immersed in the festival.

Aside from my own art and framed family photos, about 75% of the artwork in my home, including pottery and sculpture, has come from this festival.

I will let you know of the exceptional art that I find, whether I buy it or not.

No comments: