Thursday, October 9, 2014

Murray Boulevard Garden Society

Murray Boulevard Garden Society, Collage, 20x20" ©2014 K. Hambric

One of my favorite "new" pieces.  Must have been completed early in the year, before my 51st birthday.  Sometimes I put my age in my pieces.  Not because I am especially proud of making it though another year, but I just love the way numbers look.  Letters too.  And I love the number 5.  It's so beautiful.  Curves and angles.  It seems so complete to me.

Murray Boulevard sits on the Ashley River in Charleston, SC.  It is also known at the Low Battery.  It's houses are not quite as grand as those around the corner on the High Battery.  Google images for Charleston and it is the High Battery that shows up.  I imagine, from looking through the gates, that the gardens are quite lovely.  Possibly grand.  Not huge, however.  These are not plantations.  If the garden owners got together and formed a club, I feel that this would be a good, if humorous, representation.

My artwork is beginning to make the rounds of galleries.  I've just been given a no from one of my favorites and, I feel, one of the three best galleries in town.  I've got to saddle up the pony and trot my stuff back out there.  It is like getting your children out into the world.  I might think my daughter is just the best, smartest and most beautiful creature out there (she is).  But others might not feel the same way. Obviously.

That damn Dory from Finding Nemo keeps swimming past in my head . . .

     . . . . just keep on swimming . . . . keep on swimming . . . . keep on swimming

4 comments:

Dr. MVM said...

Keep it up. Don't ever stop trying to get your art out there.

Susan said...

Nice, piece. And I am glad to see you are starting to post again. Never give up!

Professor Chaos said...

Putting your age in your work makes me think of Walter White arranging his bacon into his age.

layers said...

What a beautiful garden piece... and of course we as artists never give up... a 'no' keeps us going and striving to finally get the 'yes'... which will happen of course.