Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The $100 Pen


Pretty pricey, huh?

Actually, individually, these cost just a little over $3.00.  Plus shipping, of course.  But there's just something about me and the way I do things, that made these innocent little pens cost over $100.

I won't make a tiresome list of all of the pens I have purchased.  The vast majority of these have been tossed.  I do not need reminders of my inability to make wise choices.  I will bring up the $60+ Rapidograph pen set I purchased and immediately regretted because I would like to get rid of it.  If somebody wants to pay me $35 (including shipping) for the set, I'll send it out immediately.  Perhaps I just don't know how to use these pens.  I don't care.  I'm tired of sending out a torrent of wrath each time I walk past them.

The studio garbage can is heavy with the bodies of worthless pens.   I feel like a mafia don.  If I'm displeased once, that's it.  Into the river.  No second chances.

I can write my little brains out with these pens on just about any surface.  After just a few minutes of drying time, I can rub glue all over this paint with so smearing whatsoever. 

Sounds pretty insignificant, right?  There are people who have found their perfect life partner in far less time.  The twinkling of the presidency in Obama's eye to the recent mid-year election is nothing time-wise compared to the time I have spent looking for this damn white pen.  I'm pleased, and I want you all to be pleased with me.

Now, if the DecoColor people would just come out with an extra, extra fine line pen, I would be even happier.

6 comments:

red-handed said...

I have the same problem with wanting to write on painted canvas ... so good, I'm on it. As for regular pens -- all the other pens in my life -- I'm like Genghis Khan: use, misuse, dislike, pillage, destroy.

p said...

i have those pens too...i think all pens kind of suck. i bought some industrial pens that i can write on metal and you have to sand it off...my welder dude in vermont was impressed BUT even those suck just because eventually they dont leak out the right amount of paint. good luck...i've spent hundreds....

Missouri Bend Paper Works said...

It is nearly impossible to find a great white pen, I've found. I want something that acts like a paint pen, but won't bleed if I want to do a little painting on top. I finally found one and then couldn't remember where in the world I got it...and of course, it's out of ink. After so many bad purchases, I buy these things now, practically assuming I'll hate it....but sometimes there's a love affair (so to speak!)....I've got my eye on these pens you've posted!!! Interesting to have a post about all the bad pen purchases...I've made a million of them!

Susan said...

I am also curious of the brands of pens that you disliked, despised, and could stomp on. Maybe if you posted the failed pens, it may save money for some of us.

Did you try the sharpie paint pen? Just wondering.

Kim Hambric said...

I did try the Sharpie paint pen. It works fairly well. The Decocolor just works better. More even coverage, finer point.

Jo James said...

Oooh, I need a white pen and have never successfully discovered the right one. Thanks for saving me the heartache :)
And I have had a longterm relationship with my favorite black pens that I use for everyday writing and drawing on paper. Papermate Flair felt tip. They're cheap, but so hard to find anymore.