Thursday, July 8, 2010

Once in a Blue Moon

So, I finally broke down and did it. I cut into my Mother's old diary. Just one little teeny section. I was looking for an entry in the right color (dark blue) and found it. Then when I went to glaze it with matte medium, it turned into an inky mess. So I found another entry. This time I copied it, enlarging it by 15%. No inky mess this time. However, when I use the copier -- the ink is usually more prone to smearing. Go figure.



Once in a Blue Moon, 12 x 12" NFS at this time.

I'm probably going to hang onto this piece. Being the first of a series (maybe), it is too personal. And since I've photographed it, I can see ALL SORTS of irritating flaws. The antique fabric was a little too pliable so it's ended up stretched in ways it should not be stretched. The little houses seem to be in the midst of an earthquake. So do the stamped letters.

I will venture up into the hot studio this afternoon and play around with the fabrics again and see if another piece will shake out of the whole mess. This is not my usual color combo, so I'm not quite comfortable with it. I sure am enjoying playing around with it though. And, I've ordered lots of vintage bits and pieces which I now feel I must use.

4 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

If you go to Margaret's blog Painting On http://margaretryall.blogspot.com/
you will see her side bar has a list of techniques. I believe she tells you how to make a mixture of mat medium that you can spray - if you did a few layers of that the ink from your Mom's diary will be fixed.

paula said...

well i dig it.

ArtPropelled said...

I dig it too .

Susan said...

ditto