Thursday, February 18, 2010

Signs of the Times IX and X

Signs of the Times IX, 6 x 6"


Signs of the Times X, 6 x 6"

Thanks to all of my readers who have listed their favorite cities and have told me why they live where they live now.

Far more often than not, we live where we need to work. Our jobs might be so specialized that there are only a few (or less than that) places that we can live. When I told my husband I was more than ready to move out of the Northern Virginia area, I was given three choices, all related to his employment. Would it be Groton, CT; Detroit, MI, or State College, PA? The process of elimination landed us at Penn State University in State College, PA. Not quite a metropolis (bit of sarcasm here).

There are advantages to living here. It is a small town filled with educated people. If I go out and forget to lock my door, its no big deal. If I decide to go for drinks downtown, I can walk home. And it only takes 4.5 hours to drive to New York City.

There are disadvantages. Step three feet out of town and the education level drops dramatically. Instantaneously. Scarily. If I go for drinks or dinner downtown, I don't have much choice in where I go. There is no clothing or house-oriented shopping for those over the age of 21 and under the age of 90. I can afford to go to New York City once a year. It's those other 51 weekends of the year that I have trouble filling.

I do find I am drawn to urban areas. Kind of like a moth to a flame. Or maybe a moth to a bug zapper. I love those bright lights. And coffee shops. And restaurants. And museums. And . . .

These two pieces are now for sale on Etsy.

2 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Wow, you're still flying Kim. Such beautiful work!

Fibra Artysta said...

I reeeeeeeealllllllyyyy like the dollar signs on the second piece, seems so fitting!