Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Icing on the Cake

Beads Paper Buttons
Perhaps its a case of the seven-year itch. About seven years ago, I stopped doing my paper and fabric collages on board and canvas and started working exclusively with fabric (although I might add paint to the fabric). Now, paper is back in my life again and this time I feel it is going to stay. Will it remain a "bit" character or will it eventually play a larger part?

At this point, I am using paper as an embellishment on my quilts. Yes, I know the word embellishment is a bit of a bad word in the world of art. So?

And then there are beads. I have loved beads for quite a long time now. At first, they were little glass beads. Then they got a little larger and became a more important aspect of my quilts. Then they got stranger -- plastic, resin, celluloid, and now, paper. I love spending an afternoon rolling up paper beads. Aren't those black sunburst sequins fantastic? What about those elephant beads?

So, of course now buttons have to make an appearance. I'm especially in love with vintage mother-of-pearl buttons. I found two large ones I received in a collection from my mother-in-law. I originally intended on holding on to them forever and ever. But then, one of my pieces demanded such a button. I added it and proclaimed it perfect. Then another piece demanded the other of the two buttons. Then they were gone. Now, like a lonely lover perusing personal ads, I cruise Etsy and Ebay for old buttons. And maps. My obsession with old maps continues.

What's life without obsessions? Or itches?

8 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Life is a little richer with the addition of obsessions and itches. We all have such a variety of "loves". I like your beads...beautiful!
Mary Ann

M said...

I have a severe paper obsession. I just want to have all those beautiful colours, patterns and textures to call my own. While I use some in my paintings, I know I will never use all that I have acquired. Sometimes I will create small paper collages. Yours are interesting with the addition of beads and buttons. I've never embellished the papers in this way. Something to think about....
Margaret

aimee said...

oh, isn't that so true, how we shift in and out of phases of art like we do with our lives? i used to be heavily into collage, and when someone asked me one day why i no longer did it, i didn't realize that i had stopped until they mentioned it. i guess without thinking too much about it i had shifted from collage to illustration. and probably at some point i'll shift back to collage. i think this is our way of keeping things evolving and growing, keeping things fresh and new; it's no fun to do the same thing all the time. it's healthy.

your pieces are beautiful! great to see how you're playing around with so many different things.

Chris said...

As I always say, do what you gotta do. It's called Your Journey As An Artist. Nice work, LOVE the burst sequin, where'd ya get it? I can't find any sequins in the store anymore. The vintage buttons make me drool. I have a few I am hoarding.

Kim Hambric said...

Thanks for all of your comments! Glad to know I'm not the only one that's fickle.

These photos aren't of completed pieces, but are little compilations of some of my favorite new embellishments. I've just gathered them in a way that inspires me. The layout idea came to me from the book "French Inspired Jewelry" by Kaari Meng. Although I don't make jewelry, her layouts of findings and other materials are stunning.

Chris, sorry I can't remember where those sequins came from. I went through my receipts, but naturally I couldn't find what I was looking for. Pretty sure they came for Ebay or Etsy. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Nellie's Needles said...

mmmm...I think a better term than "embellishments" would be "elements".

We all do what we have to do to keep our art interesting to make. I would that "evolving".

See what a little twist of words and perspective can do?

layers said...

It does not matter what mediums you use-- the end product is all the matters-- so go with your passions and loves

ArtPropelled said...

Kim there is an industrious buzz around here these days. You're on a roll and I'm very inspired.
I love the compilations and reading about your process.