Tuesday, October 13, 2009

STOP

So, there was going to be a new piece posted this afternoon. But since you do not see a photo here, you may safely assume it was not completed.

Working from home has its perks and its pains. When a phone call is received from the school nurse, it is I that stops everything and rushes to school.

Today my daughter's school nurse called about 1:30. She reported that my daughter had a headache and a fever of 106. Good God! I stopped my sewing, quickly shut down my studio and attempted to phone a nurse at the pediatrician's office to see if I should bring her in. After being put on hold for 10 minutes I hung up and phoned my hubby to make the call while I went to pick up my daughter. I was to call him when I reached the school and by then he would know whether to take her to the doctor or the emergency room.

When I got to the school, I told the nurse she had never had a temperature anywhere near one hundred AND six degrees. She told me it was probably not an emergency. I responded by saying that I thought that a fever of one hundred AND six would be an emergency. I recall making another statement about her fever of one hundred AND six degrees. We then rushed out. The school secretary ran after us saying that my husband had called and had been transferred to the school nurse. We went back in the room and the nurse was telling my husband that her temperature was one hundred POINT six. She then showed me what she had written down earlier. Didn't she hear me say one hundred AND six at least three times? She had never corrected me.

Needless to say, my daughter is at home, playing games and watching television and quite happy. Jeez. What a scare.

So my newest piece is still sitting in the sewing machine, needle down, awaiting my return. That won't be tomorrow since it was "suggested" my daughter stay home tomorrow because of her fever of one hundred POINT six.

So, we've worked a puzzle, discussed homework, and had bathtime. She has played horses, read a book and watched television. My little piece will sit in the machine until Thursday. This is not easy for me. It is so hard to just STOP. It is kind of like being gagged and bound. Stuck in an elevator. Locked in a box.

On the other hand. I have a sweet daughter that does NOT have a fever of one hundred AND six.

You'll just have to wait a bit longer to see "I Can See Russia from My House."

8 comments:

Chris said...

Oh, for crying out loud! One hundred AND six! Did you tell her thanks for scaring the crap out of you?

lori vliegen said...

wow....what a difference one little word can make!! and what a big difference it is in this case!! i hope your daughter feels better tomorrow! :))

Dana Barbieri said...

So glad your daughter was o.k. Pretty scary I am sure. I also know how hard it can be to be in the middle of something and have to stop. Can't wait to see the new piece.

Ellen said...

Glad there was no serious emergency. Feel bad you had to live through that panic though. I'm looking forward to seeing the new piece, love the title (are there guns,wolves and hockey sticks sewn in?).

p said...

i agree....thats awful! i mean 104 you could die and i would have had amublances lined up. thank god she is okay and while it sucks to have art interrupted, this warrants a break. (always keep in mind i have had my studio torn apart and boxed now for 8 weeks and i'm still functioning so there is hope). can't wait to see the new piece. i get the bound feeling...gagged...compressed....but sometimes, SOMETIMES even if we furiously work on a piece and are forced to break from it, sometimes a wonderful change can happen that wouldn't have otherwise. who knows...maybe this is all good.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like the description of being gagged and bound or stuck in an elevator or locked in a box...yes, I know all those very well! Sometimes I sit and figure how many more days before I can have a FULL studio day. It isn't easy to be creative...lots of frustration. I will be watching for the "new piece".
I'm glad your daughter is feeling better!

ArtPropelled said...

What a fright! Glad your daughter is fine. I can so relate to the gagged and bound, locked in a box feeling. You describe it very well!

kendalee said...

Phew! I was holding my breath almost all the way through that story - I can only imagine what it must have felt like for you! Horrid!!! Glad to hear that it turned out okay though :)

Also, thank you for sharing your great blog finds - some lovely stuff... I've just been catching up on a couple of posts and I was interested to read your overwhelmed/underwhelmed musings. It's true that there's so much amazing talent and creativity out in this bloggy world and I understand how it might be a bit overwhelming even for an artist like yourself who seems to have found her creative stride but, for what it's worth, your work is right up there for me - beautiful and every bit as inspiring!!!