Wednesday, January 7, 2009

More Sweet Songs

FINALLY. Another Sweet Songs of Birds has been completed. This is number 3. It is for sale on Etsy.

Only 9 more to go. I have completed the cutting of number 12. The others have been pieced together and the "sandwiches" have been made. I still need to quilt in the ditch and do the decorative quilting. I am hoping to complete one or two per week.

This effort may be hampered by the weather. We are having yet another ice storm and schools are closed again. A neighbor called at 8:00 this morning to set up a playdate, so I have until after lunch to get some work done. I feel fairly certain that school will be closed or at least 2 hours late tomorrow. Aaarrgh!

The studio has been mostly uninhabited for quite some time. I did get to visit it for a while on Monday, mostly to do some vacuuming and dusting. Yesterday I was able to spend several hours there. It was slow going at first. I have had concerns about doing what I am doing during this recession. Sales have slowed and I am having a hard time convincing myself to keep going. After a few minutes of great doubt, I started to play with fabric pieces for #12. Soon, the pieces were cut and laid out. Then I started sorting all the fabric scraps from this project. I accumulate a lot of "debris" when working on a series. I rarely straighten up until the project is done. This usually leaves me with only a couple of square feet to lay out a piece. So my workspace is almost tidy, a new piece is complete, and a series of 12 has been designed. I feel much better.

I know that many other artist bloggers have compiled large lists of things they have accomplished in 2008. I am not going there. I'm not sure I'm going to post a list of things I want to complete in 2009. Oh well, maybe just a very short list.

1. Keep going.
2. Buy some supplies.

By the way, I was serious in my last post. I really would like some assistance in choosing a new brand of thread. What brand do you prefer and why?

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Sorry I know nothing about thread, but your new piece is really nice, I love the colours. And keep going is THE best piece of New Year's wisdom I've come across, because no one can truly predict anything, so why worry? I'm making it a mantra to post on my fridge.

bridgette said...

oh, i love this!

happy new year!

David Castle said...

Sorry, I also don't know a thing about thread... but thank you for not going there with the wordy posts about goals and accomplishments, etc. I LOVE your list for 2009. I also love artist blogs that talk more about thread than goals (not that there is anything wrong with goals...).

Dianna in Maui said...

Hi Kim, I've gotten to be somewhat of a thread snob over the years. I started with C&C and "bin" thread, but it's true what the magazines and teachers say - cheap thread is trouble. So, I've slowly converted (and grown) my thread stash over the years. I use mostly Isacord (poly) solids because I like the sheen and the strenght. I sometimes use it in the bobbin when I'm machine quilting.

I like King Tut from Superior for quilting, and a sew (piece, etc) strictly with Aurafil because it's a fine, sleek cotton thread that produces little if no lint and makes beautiful seams. It also comes in a HUGE array of colors. I use it in the bobbin for quilting as well.

I've recently begun working with hand dyed silk, and I love YLI silk thread (Diane Gaudynski uses it too) for quilting - gorgeous sheen - but it's expensive so I use Isacord too, on the silk. Silk thread also tends to gum up my machine and needle (it has it's own natural "coating" thats like a wax), so I have to clean more often. Use a 60 or 70 needle for silk.

Good luck with your quest!

Kim Hambric said...

Thanks everyone for your thread input. I really have little knowledge of thread & just tend to use what I find at my fave big box fabric store. I've got some experimenting ahead of me.